As backyards get smaller and dog-owners get busier, dogs are increasingly struggling to get the exercise they need to be healthy. Today we see about as many unhealthy dogs as humans, and in both cases one of the primary causes is likely a lack of movement and exercise.
The fact is, a short walk on a leash with your dog twice a day is just not enough to keep your dog physically and mentally healthy. Dogs need high-intensity exercise, like sprinting after a ball or running around chasing other dogs.
Is Your Dog Getting Enough Exercise?
If you don’t give your dog something constructive to do, it will find something to do and you may not like it. Some common behavior problems seen in dogs who don’t get enough exercise and play are:
- Destructive chewing, digging or scratching
- Investigative behaviors, like garbage raiding
- Hyperactivity, excitability and night-time activity
- Unruliness, knocking over furniture and jumping up on people
- Excessive predatory and social play
- Play biting and rough play
- Attention-getting behaviors like barking and whining
Benefits of Exercise and Play
Giving your dog daily exercise will be worth all of the effort you put into it, as exercise has many benefits to their health, and the life you share with them. Here are some benefits to regular exercise for your dog:
- Reduces or eliminates behavior problems listed above, like digging, excessive barking, chewing and hyperactivity
- Keeps dogs healthy, agile and limber
- Reduces digestive problems and constipation
- Helps Your Dog Build Confidence and Trust
- Helps dogs sleep at bedtime
- Improves Muscular Shape and Strength
- Reduces Body Fat
Both low and high intensity exercise is absolutely essential for the health of a dog, and yet today almost all the exercise they get is from walking, trapped on a leash at the pace of its owner. It is highly recommended to provide for your dog a place to sprint, rather than just walk, like a local dog park. Sadly, there are many dogs out there who are barely even walked at all. For those who are too busy to take their dogs to the dog park, and don’t have the money to spend on a pet babysitter who will, then thankfully, a group of inventors have formulated a brilliant solution for you:
Indoor Exercise for Dogs?
A North American company called GoPet manufactures tread wheels for the family dog. Think of a hamster wheel, except much bigger – big enough for a dog! The Pet Treadwheel allows your dog to run for hours, at whatever pace is needed for achieving maximum physical and mental health.
The durable steel TreadWheels and Treadmills are available in all different sizes to fit the needs of any size dog. Now when you’re home, or even when you’re away your dog can remain entertained for hours on end while getting the exercise he or she needs. Considering the unconditional love our pets give to us, I think they deserve this in return.
- An Excellent source of exercise for all dogs
- Dog powered – no electricity needed
- Free, off-leash exercise so that your dog can run at its own, natural pace
- Dog can use the TreadWheel at any time – even while home alone
- A physical outlet for energetic dogs
- A great source of exercise for overweight dogs
- Allows your dog to exercise even when the weather doesn’t permit
- Perfect for owners who do not have the running space dogs require
- <View the Pet TreadWheel Brochure>